Sunday, October 22, 2017

LDV pilot ugly useless dash? Fibreglass yourself a custom one. Practise on a wheel arch!

when I had my van I always wanted to make a custom dashboard for it
because it is ugly but also quite useless. The mould LDV chose to use was not to my taste at all.
I'm having to look into dashboard and fibreglass build because of my boat and there I found this video below.
I f you re feeling creative and have a bit of money to invest, there is a nice tutorial from a skilled David Guyton.

For a simpler and more in demand application I was also thinking of the LDV wheel arches.
It would be quite easy to reproduce them with fibreglass when it's time to replace them to get that MOT pass!
Much easier and cheaper than welding (unless you\ve got the gear and skills) but also fully weather proof! Plus you win on fuel consumption as you won't be carrying that rust around with you all the time.

I will try and post a video on how to replicate shapes with fibreglass but it's quite a simple process.
  • Take your or a wheel arch off to replicate it (just need to get length, width and curve right).
  • Make a mould from this.
  • Fibreglass the shape from within that mould - adding lips and whatever extras needed for fittings
  • Cut of the excess once all dried and hard

Done madone.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and posting. Hope you found the blog helpful.
(Note that if you spam, you 're out. Don't waste your time nor mine.)